Monday, May 29, 2006

M is for Mystery

So, for the last week Squish has had a "regression" in terms of behavior and in terms of attending to the task at hand. I'm not even sure regression is the right word. In my mind, these periods are like being at the beach during high tide. When the waves come in further, recede, and then come further still. So Squish is receeding before an advance (we hope). Usually there is a leap after this kind of lapse. But it still makes me sick inside with worry that the ABA will just stop working or that he'll retreat from us emotionally.

I know this lapse probably means he is stressed out or burned out and I totally understand that. I'm always amazed at how hard he works and how he does so with a smile on his face. But because he usually is so happy and so easy going when he has an increase in tantrums and stimming and can't seem to focus or answer a question he's "mastered" it really, really freaks me out. It's like night and day and I can't stop thinking about it.

Ok, so I don't know where I'm going with this except to say that just when I feel like our family has got this "living with Autism" thing nailed, another mystery pops up. It's CSI: Autism and we are back on the case to help find ways to make Squish happier, healthier, and more communicative.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

C definitely has his highs and lows too. We always hold our breath during the lows. And sometimes that's a long time to hold our breath but he always reaches a nice, high peak and we feel better about everything for a few weeks. And then it's back to holding our breath. ;)

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I am able to relate to what you are going through. Don't you worry. Squish will get over this very soon. My best wishes and prayers.

BTW, apart from stress, is there anything else that you think may have triggered this reaction in Squish? I mean...do you think it could be because of some incompatible food or medication or simply a change in the schedule or structure...

3:29 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

The zig zag of ups and down is wearisome. I try to think of where we were a year prior to the current crisis, which always cheers me up.
Best wishes

5:14 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

come back with the letters.!
Cheers

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home